The Knights of Columbus is the largest Catholic service organization in the world but we do not stand complacent. In fact, we search tirelessly for the next generation of Knights – men of character and conviction who are driven by their faith and conscience to selflessly serve their families, community and Church.
As a Knight, you can make an impact through enduring faith and unfaltering fellowship knowing that one man can make a difference because one Man already has.
Membership in the Knights of Columbus is open to practical Catholic men in union with the Holy See, who are at least 18 years old. A practical Catholic is one who lives up to the Commandments of God and the precepts of the Church. Application forms are available from any member of the Knights of Columbus, or you can contact us on-line below to receive one.
A candidate becomes a member of a local council. Most councils are associated with a parish and often have members from other surrounding parishes. A candidate takes part in a rising order of initiation degrees that explain our four principles – Charity, Unity, Fraternity and Patriotism. He is considered a “Knight” upon taking his First Degree and is encouraged to advance through the Second and Third Degrees and on to the Fourth Degree. It is members of the Fourth Degree who serve in honor guards and color corps to promote patriotism and respect for our country and the flag.
While dues-paying membership is only for practical Catholic men, most council activities are open to the member’s entire family, like social and family activities, scholarships, volunteer service programs and insurance benefits.
- Columbia Twelve free issues annually of the world’s largest Catholic family magazine—Catholic family evangelization at its best!
- Rosary Program A free Knights of Columbus rosary is given to new and readmitted members.
- Daily Mass Remembrance Mass offered daily for deceased members, deceased spouses of members, and deceased Columbian Squires at St. Mary’s Church, New Haven, Conn.
- Insurance Program Offers member, spouse, and children the opportunity to provide for their security and well-being. Rated AAA (Superior) by Standard & Poor’s and A++ (Superior) by A. M. Best.
- Annuity Program Enables member and spouse to provide for retirement and build an estate through tax-deferred savings.
- Long-Term Care Insurance Enables members and their spouses to safeguard their assets and afford the care and assistance needed later in life.
- Member/Spouse Fraternal Benefit Accidental death coverage for member and spouse at no cost.
- Orphan Benefit Monthly allotment for orphans of eligible families, as well as college scholarships are available.
- Family Fraternal Benefit For eligible families: a) for the child who dies before the age of 61 days; b) for the child who is stillborn at least 20 weeks after conception; c) offers guaranteed-issue insurance to any child under age 18.
- New Member Plan A low-cost whole life policy to new members and their spouses upon joining the Order.
- Widow Benefits a) Continues to be covered under the Member/Spouse Fraternal Benefit; b) May purchase insurance, annuities, or Long-Term Care up to one year after insured member’s death; c) Receives a free lifetime subscription to Columbia; d) Eligible with her children for scholarships, student loans, etc.
- Scholarships/Fellowships Six different college scholarship programs for members and their families; two different graduate fellowship programs; and scholarship programs for seminarians.
- Matthews and Swift Educational Trust Fund Provides full scholarships including net expenses to Catholic colleges for children of members killed or permanently and totally disabled from military service in armed conflict, or from criminal violence while performing duties as full-time law enforcement officer or full-time fireman.
- Leadership Development Opportunity to build personal leadership skills through active involvement in the Order’s unique structure, supported by Knightline/Program Supplement: fraternal newsletters mailed to state and local council officers and chairmen.
- Fourth Degree Eligibility of Third Degree members to join the Patriotic Degree, one year after initiation into Order.
- Honorary Life Membership at Age 70 After 25 years of continuous service, member merits this distinction and no longer need pay dues.
- Catholic Information Service Opportunity for member and family to avail themselves of a variety of literature on Catholic faith and spirituality.
- Membership Card Entitles participation in all Catholic, fraternal, and social activities in member’s council and also in over 12,000 councils throughout the world.
- Family Activities Eligibility for recognition in “Family of the Month/Year” program and participation in a wide variety of local family events.
- Athletic Programs Participate in annual council, state, and international golf, bowling, and softball tournaments; many councils sponsor teams in a variety of sports.
- Youth Programs Opportunities for your children to participate in a variety of youth-oriented programs such as the Columbian Squires, a leadership training program for young men under council sponsorship.
Are you ready to take the next step?
We invite you, as a practical Catholic man, to become part of the Order of the Knights of Columbus. Please contact us below for questions and to get an application.
To start the process, please complete the information and a Knight will be in touch with you shortly.